Owner of a dog? Then surely you want the best for your faithful four-legged friend? If you have a pet, you know that this comes with several fixed costs such as food, vaccinations, a visit to the vet… But have you also thought about the unforeseen costs? What if your dog suddenly becomes (seriously) ill or is involved in an accident? Then the cost of the vet or the cost of the necessary treatments can be high. If your dog needs surgery, you will soon pay €500 – €900. For these unforeseen veterinary and/or treatment costs, you could turn to dog insurance.
What is a dog insurance?
As the name of this insurance describes it, you insure your dog with dog insurance. It protects your best friend, by covering the costs of the veterinarian or the costs associated with treatment. Note that these costs must be related to an illness or an accident. Costs following a vet visit for vaccinations or a regular check-up are not covered by dog insurance.
Currently, Corona Direct is one of the few dog insurance providers on the Belgian market. Regardless of the chosen formula of Corona Direct (Bronze, Silver, or Gold), as a dog owner (= policyholder), you pay an exemption per claim (= own contribution to the costs of treatments). This means that you have to pay 20% of the costs yourself, taking into account a minimum amount of €100.
Here are some examples:
Example 1: Suppose your dog needs surgery and the bill is €900, you will be reimbursed €720 (after submitting the bill). You pay 20% of the cost yourself = €180.
Example 2: Suppose your dog is hit by a car and at first glance your dog seems to have nothing. To be sure, you take your dog to the vet to have it examined. In total, you pay €200 to the vet for the examinations. You will then not be reimbursed €160 (= 80%) from the dog insurance but €100, since the exemption is subject to a minimum amount of €100.
What does dog insurance cover?
As mentioned earlier, you can choose between different formulas at Corona Direct: Bronze, Silver or Gold. Each formula provides, as a basic guarantee, coverage for veterinary expenses or veterinary treatment if these expenses are associated with an illness or accident.
If you opt for a more extensive formula (Silver or Gold), then the dog insurance provides much more coverage:
- If your dog dies as a result of an illness or accident. Then you will receive compensation worth the purchase price of your dog. The purchase price of your dog is always included in the special conditions of the agreement. Again, there is a maximum amount that is paid out. If you have taken out the Silver formula, a maximum of €400 will be reimbursed. If you subscribe to the Gold formula, a maximum of €750 will be reimbursed. Attention: if your four-legged friend is 6 years old or older and dies due to an illness, no compensation will be paid. If your dog is already elderly and dies due to an accident, you will be reimbursed.
- Has your dog suddenly disappeared or been stolen? Then you can appeal to your dog insurance company for the advertising costs of finding your dog. You have to notify the insurer of this search in advance and receive written approval. Once you have received this, you can recover the advertising costs from the insurer, provided you provide the insurer with an invoice. The dog insurance will also cover the finder’s fee (= reward). The finder cannot be someone from your family or someone you live with. Here too, a maximum of €400 to €750 is reimbursed.
- Your dog has been missing for more than 45 days. Reason: your dog has run away, and you cannot find him/her, or your dog has been stolen. If you have reported this to the police within 24 hours, you can be compensated for the loss of your dog (maximum €400 to €750).
- Are you or someone in your family out of action and do you need to be hospitalized for more than 4 days? Did you know that you can then appeal to the dog insurance? If you or someone in your family is hospitalized for more than 4 days, the insurer will reimburse you for the costs of care (maximum €400 to €750 per calendar year!). Attention: if someone is hospitalized because of a medical condition that was already known when the contract was concluded, a childbirth or pregnancy, … Then the dog insurance company will not intervene, the care costs of your dog will not be reimbursed.
- What if you’ve just booked your vacation and seven days before your departure, your dog has to undergo life-saving surgery? Then you can appeal to the travel cancellation coverage. The insurer then provides an indemnity of maximum €750 to €2,000 per calendar year for the cancellation costs you were unable to recover.
|Corona Direct Bronze||Corona Direct Silver||Corona Direct Gold|
|Maximum reimbursement||€ 1500||€ 2500||€ 3500|
|Compensation for death due to illness or accident||None||€ 400||€ 750|
|Compensation in case of theft or loss||None||€ 400||€ 750|
|Reimbursement for ad costs if your dog runs away||None||€ 400||€ 750|
|Reception fee||None||€ 400||€ 750|
|Reimbursement travel cancellation due to illness or accident||None||€ 750||€ 2000|
More information regarding basic coverage (Bronze) and extended coverage (Silver and Gold), can be found in the general terms and conditions of the dog insurance company (Corona Direct).
What doesn’t it cover?
To get insurance for your dog, your dog must always be officially registered. If your dog is officially registered by your veterinarian, then your dog has a dog passport. In addition, it is also important that your dog has received the required vaccinations, if this is not the case then you cannot take out dog insurance.
If you take out dog insurance, there are a number of things not covered. All exclusions can also be found in the insurer’s terms and conditions. Here are some examples of things that are not covered by the dog insurance:
- Ordinary costs of a veterinary visit (not as a result of an illness or accident)
- If your dog gets sick within 20 days after you take out the dog insurance, then you cannot claim the dog insurance. If your dog gets sick 20 days after the start of the agreement, then the costs for treatment etc. will be covered.
- Vaccinations of your dog will not be reimbursed. If your dog is vaccinated, you as the dog owner will pay these costs yourself.
- Castration or sterilization of your dog is not covered unless it is medically necessary for the well-being of your dog or if you have received prior approval from the insurer.
- Organ transplant
- Behavioral problems and parenting counseling.
- Consequences of a disease against which your dog could be vaccinated, such as hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus and distemper.
Calculate dog insurance prices online
Do you also want the best for your dog? Don’t be caught unawares by unexpected circumstances, such as your dog suddenly becoming seriously ill or breaking his/her leg. You want your dog to get the necessary treatments, and unfortunately these costs can be high. Calculate therefore quickly and easily the price of a dog insurance and protect your dog against the unexpected.